Welcome to the Badlands

All pictures belong to us {unless otherwise stated} and we would appreciate it if you didn't capture, borrow or take any of them. Thank you.

Search the web with Google!

Google

Quote of the month...

"Standing tall is a very admirable thing. There are very few stories in history of heroes who slouched to the rescue. Likewise, most individuals don't look up to people who are drooped over."
from Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra by Obert Skye

my family

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Potty Training Woes...

So, can anyone tell me why potty training can be such a traumatic experience? Or why some kids can only remember to go when in the car or at the store?
All of my girls have just up and decided one day they were "ready to go on the big potty". This was wonderful.... until EmmaLece. She followed suit and last Nov. told us she was a big girl and she was nearly trained over night. We were SO excited and not worried about Scott as it has been our experience that boys are slower. Well, last Nov. was also when my Grandma passed away (the day after Thanksgiving), so I had to head off to WA state for the funeral (thanks to my in-laws and my sister -- babysitting and plane tickets/ arrangements). This same day, Troy had to fly to Vegas to pick up a truck for work and was to be gone 3-4 days. He needed to visit with his Grandpa who was sick ( he passed away in Dec.). So we left all the kids with Grandma and Grandpa. They have stayed with them before and no problems, but this time EmmaLece had some serious issues...... like she forgot how to use the toilet! When we finally made it back (spent an extra day because of the weather and the planes weren't flying and Troy got stuck because they closed the freeway in ID) she had developed a stuttering problem. It took a few months for her to get over the stuttering. We are still working on the whole potty thing. The thing that drives me the most batty abt the potty is: she can hold it across the entire state of MT! only going when we stop for gas about 3 times. MT is the 4th largest state and therefor to drive across it, is abt 700 miles! In Feb we went to Spokane for my sister's wedding and she was great IN THE CAR and as soon as we arrived anywhere, she forgot to use the potty! We had made great strides, I thought, when we went to ID for a family get-together in Aug., once again she was good in the car and then again forgot to use it. We have this issue daily at home, she has no idea where the potty is ... right there in the hall where it has ALWAYS been! But she chooses to go in her panties and then remember where the bathroom is and go change her panties! Aaaaarrrrgh! (She always remembers where the potty is if she needs to do #2!)
Scott, on the other hand decided a few months back that he was ready to be a big boy and (knock on wood) has had very few accidents, he even sleeps through the night and wakes up dry! Lately he NEEDS me to take him to the potty where before he was taking himself. Such is our daily potty struggle!

11 comments:

Cecily R said...

I am SO not looking forward to the potty training deal with Evie. Jon and I are terrible potty training parents! In fact, I've posted about this very subject...check this out...

http://mychaosmybliss.blogspot.com/2006/03/urinals-and-size-6.html :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Thanks, Cecily, I'll have a look at that one. I didn't read back to the begining of yours, sorry.

Are You Serious! said...

Potty training SUCKS!!! I agree... And with twins it's double terrible. I think they just get to having soooo much fun through out the day that they don't think about it until they have to go SO bad that they have an accident. Maybe a reminder every now and then, I have no clue. I think it's one of the worst things we have to do. Lane still has accidents every night and Eliza has them every now and then at night. Drives me CRAZY!!! :) Good luck!

Sherri said...

I hated, hated, hated potty training! I remember sitting on the bathroom floor with Patrick crying. Madison was pretty easy to train, though she had a set back when Patrick was born. Carter practically trained himself. However, Patrick was HARD!!! Man, I hate to even think about those days! "sigh"

Cecily R said...

Carrie-

Good grief, I never expected you to read back all the way! I just gave you that link because we all have awful potty training stories!

You're so nice to read the old stuff, but I know time doesn't alway let you do that (heavens I know I can't!). :)

KATE said...

I wish I had some fabulous potty tricks, but I don't!! I think I told this one to Cecily & I'm SURE my girls will need therapy in the future but...I put princess panties on my girls (their VERY favorite character) it was Dash for my little Sammy. Anyhow, put their favorite character on them & tell them that it would make whoever sad if they pee peed on them. I know it worked for my little ones, but that is my ONLY trick!
Good LUCK!!
-Kate

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Thanks to all of your for your commisseration!
cecily- I'm glad that I've gone back to read your older posts... there are some really great ones!

Heather said...

My oldest son literally woke up one morning and was ready to ditch the diapers. He never wet the bed or had an accident. My second son, however, was wearing pull ups until he was in kindergarten. I have yet to see how the last two will do. :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Heather- It is interesting how different kids can be even with in the same family. Good luck with your younger ones... maybe they wil be easy like your oldest.

Keeley said...

Oh my gosh, I feel your pain.

Andrew WILL NOT tell me he needs the potty. He can hold it for hours until I remember to put him on. When I put him on he screams blue murder because I'm taking him away from playing with his toys for all of two seconds. =D That's not fun to deal with.

But if I'm busy and forget to put him on, he won't tell me he's about to explode, he'll just spread his legs and pee on the carpet and waits for me to find out his pants are wet....which I do, usually right after the dumb dog has thrown up on the carpet and the toilet has exploded and the home phone and cell phones are ringing at the same time and there's someone knocking at the door and I was meant to be somewhere five minutes ago.....you know the situation.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Keeley-It's good to know I'm not alone! Sorry that your son is just a go where I am kid! That is tough. Good luck.