Welcome to the Badlands

All pictures belong to us {unless otherwise stated} and we would appreciate it if you didn't capture, borrow or take any of them. Thank you.

Search the web with Google!

Google

Quote of the month...

"Standing tall is a very admirable thing. There are very few stories in history of heroes who slouched to the rescue. Likewise, most individuals don't look up to people who are drooped over."
from Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra by Obert Skye

my family

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Getting to know ME

So, I go to other blogs and tell people how cool I think it is that I can get to know them through their postings. I read about how they met their spouse and where they've lived and yet, I haven't shared that info.... hummmm. (warning, this might be long and boring) Well, here goes ... Let's see where to start...... at the beginning? ....


I was born in Missoula, Mt the 5th child of Daren & Myrna (they would go on to have a total of 8 children). We lived in Missoula until I was 5 when my parents purchased a double-wide and 5 acres abt 7 miles outside of town. (pictured here is the place I grew up.)


I attended school and church (born and raised in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) in Frenchtown, MT. When I was 16 I met my husband. He was serving a mission for the church. He had already served in the Chandler AZ mission and had been in a Mexico mission (I can't spell the city .. sorry) he got sick in Mexico and was sent stateside and when asked where he would like to go said he didn't care if he couldn't return to Mexico... so they sent him to Billings, MT in Dec! His first area was Missoula. He was there for nearly 10 months (long time I know.) I met him the end of my sophomore year ... we had sister missionaries who were always out of miles and in need of rides, so I drove them around a lot and went to appointments, it was kinda like a mini mission, where I got to come home every night. Anyway, that is how I met him, with the sisters... something about a prank and the zone leaders that involved water, powdered sugar and Limburger cheese....
So I wrote to Troy that summer while I was in SLC nannying for my sister. I was writing a journal at the time (not so good at that anymore humm wonder why?) and I wrote that I would marry Keiser or someone just like him.... My parents decided that we were moving that fall and we moved to a house my great grandpa and his son built in 1947 in Ephrata, WA.

(this ia a side shot and that is my baby brother) So I lived here from 17 yr old to almost 19 years old. I finished high school here (and can I just tell ya that it really sucks to move when you're a junior and you've been going to school since kindergarten with all the same kids ... I hope I don't have to move when my kids are in high school. My dad was a long haul trucker, so it didn't really matter where we lived. And my mom really wanted the house to stay in the family - my brother and his family live there now.) I continued to write to Troy and to his family (whom I'd never met.) I didn't miss out on any of the dances though, I went to Homecoming and Prom with a friend and sent Troy the pictures!) The next summer I went back to SLC and Troy came home from his mission. I flew from SLC to Las Vegas the day he came home for a week long visit. We went to his best friend's wedding (well Troy went to the wedding @ the temple and I stayed home with his sisters and read a book) reception. And we went to Disneyland.
To tell ya truth, I really wasn't sure how I felt about him by the end of the visit. I knew I liked him, but well, he thought I should dress and act like his sisters (NOT gonna happen). After a bit of prayer and stuff I knew I should marry him someday. I still had a year of school left. So in Dec., I went to Vegas for Christmas and got engaged. (love the big glasses, huh?)
Well, I finished High School and Troy went to school (UTI for auto/deisel mechanics) in Phoenix. For Easter break, Troy came up to Ephrata and met my parents. We got married June 25th 1993 in the Seattle Temple. This is @ our reception. Ok so then we went to Phoenix and stayed til he finished school in March 94 and I was pregnant with our 1st. We moved to Vegas and stayed with his parents til end of May. We got a brand-new apt. Cody was born there and Troy lost his job. He went out and got a job right away, but I didn't want to stick around so we decided to move to Ephrata. I flew up and a few weeks later Troy came up w/ a u-haul. We lived with my parents for way too long and then got a new single wide to rent. Troy had several different jobs here. We learned how hard it is to get a job right out school. Shantel was born here and we lived here til she was 7 months. We moved to Helena, MT and worked in an adult foster care home. We moved in 6 months ... Troy went back to the Vegas area and I went back to Ephrata. As soon as Troy had enough saved up to rent us a place we joined him. We lived in Indian Springs, NV and he had a good job working in his field. My mom rode down with me and we dropped my sister off at the MTC (Missionary Training Center). We bought our first house in Vegas and had another baby. Troy's sister had a baby in 2000 and we got him when he was 3 months old. (long story)We lived in Vegas for about 3 years and then decided to move back to MT and work on a farm for a family Troy met on his mission. We did the farm thing in Lindsay for 9 (long) months and then moved into town when Troy got a job working for the prision/county jail. We have lived here for nearly 6 years. We had a miscarriage in 2002 and Troy swore he wouldn't go through that again (I think I was the one who went through it, but I guess it was stressful for him too.) Then we had twins in 2004.

By now I'm sure you are bored... and I'm tired of typing, so there you have it STUFF about us.

13 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

It's never boring learning about someone else and I love getting to know people! Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself.

Are You Serious! said...

I can understand the moving part...we moved so many times although I think you're ahead by a few... And the jobs part is not fun either. It took my husband several years to finally figure out what he wanted to do in life. He finally figured it out after we had our twins... It was nice to hear your story!

Michelle Alley said...

Great post and good getting to know you!

crystal said...

So fun to get to know you better! You're right; I LOVE to read other people's stories & yet I never post my own. You've inspired me :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Thanks Holly, Melissa, Michelle, & Crystal for stopping by and reading up on me. It was kinda fun to find pictures to go along with the story. Looking forward to learing more abt you'll.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Melissa I need to know how to get back to your blog... you can't get here from your name... thanks

smithfam said...

I love reading about people. That was not boring at all!
I loved seeing the pictures.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Cecily R said...

Yay, that was fun! The pictures were great...not boring AT ALL!

Have you noticed that I almost never write about myself? I'm the boring one in my family, so I never think about it...maybe I better or someone else might and then posterity will just think of me as the boring loony one!

Unknown said...

It's awesome to get this little peek into YOU! Almost like we're chatting over coffee or something. And it's a very interesting story!

By the way, you've been awarded with the Wonder Woman Award on my blog. I know you were the one that awarded me, but I just find you to be an amazing woman!

G. Parker said...

What a hoot...you got married the same DAY we did, but about 7 years later...grin. Fun info, thanks for sharing.

Rochelleht said...

Is that a Flake in that picture? One of my best friends from college was Amee Heiner. I was a bridesmaid at both hers and Deseree's receptions.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Thank you smithfam, cecily, andrea, g.p., and rochelle for stopping by and not finding me boring!:P
Andrea- thanks for awarding me again! yeah us wonder women!
G.P.- That is the best day to get married!
Rochelle- that is not a Flake, but we had a Flake family in my home ward. they had a bunch of boys... Lawerence & Elaine .. they had 9 kids only 2 girls ...

Claremont First Ward said...

I'm so glad you posted the link to this one. I've never seen it and reading it made me feel like I know you more!