Welcome to the Badlands

All pictures belong to us {unless otherwise stated} and we would appreciate it if you didn't capture, borrow or take any of them. Thank you.

Search the web with Google!

Google

Quote of the month...

"Standing tall is a very admirable thing. There are very few stories in history of heroes who slouched to the rescue. Likewise, most individuals don't look up to people who are drooped over."
from Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra by Obert Skye

my family

Monday, September 17, 2007

It Is My Duty

This is a story I wanted to share on 9/11, but I couldn't find my copy and had to have my mom snail mail it to me. My sister wrote it while serving in Guantanamo Bay (see my 9/11 post to find out the other places she served).

It Is MY Duty

Someone came up to me the other day, this is what he said:
"I can see by your uniform, and the honor in your step, that you are a soldier. Tell me soldier, do you ever wish you were a civilian? Do you ever want to quit and say, 'let someone else take my place'? And soldier, do you ever feel frustrated and confused about the job you are asked to do? Do you ever let the anger, towards those you are meant to guard, interfere with your job?"
As this stranger questioned me, I couldn't help but feel hurt and unappreciated. So, when the stranger gave me time to answer, this was my reply:
"Well, stranger, you are correct in assuming that I am a soldier, here to defend your freedom, as well as mine. I am not going to lie to you, there has been a time or two when I've had my doubts. Sure, I have wanted to back out and let another fill my space. But, each time a thought like this crosses my mind, another quickly takes its place. I remember the hard work and dedication it took to get me here. I think of my family, home and country and remember that my duty to them is ever important. For if it weren't for my fellow soldiers and I, all would be lost and none would enjoy the simple pleasures in life. To your question of anger and confusion toward my duty, these things are unimportant and hardly cross my mind. Because it is a soldier's duty, we do a job many would refuse. So, stranger, I want to let you know that, yes I am a soldier, proud of my job, and ever ready to defend freedom, for all."
The stranger stood there and looked at me for awhile, then turned as if to walk away. But before he took a step, he paused and bowed his head for a moment. Then turned again to me, with a tear soaked face and said:
"Thank you soldier, for I lost my brother to enemy hands. He too was a soldier. I have been trying to find an answer to help me cope with my loss. Until this day, I have found no solace, but your words have comforted me. I now know his death was not in vain. So, I leave you with this prayer, "that you may be safe and always remember that your country cares for all its soldiers." The stranger then saluted me and carried on his way. As I watched him walk away, I shed a tear, knowing the pain of his loss and feeling the pride of his words. I will never forget that day or that single grateful American who I was honored to help. So, next time you see a soldier, stop and say 'thank you', for they defend your freedom and the American Way.
SPC Megan Flynn
16th Jan 2003, GTMO, Cuba

2 comments:

Wendi said...

That was an awesome post! Thanks for sharing!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

DQ- Thanks, it always makes me cry though.