Welcome to the Badlands

All pictures belong to us {unless otherwise stated} and we would appreciate it if you didn't capture, borrow or take any of them. Thank you.

Search the web with Google!

Google

Quote of the month...

"Standing tall is a very admirable thing. There are very few stories in history of heroes who slouched to the rescue. Likewise, most individuals don't look up to people who are drooped over."
from Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra by Obert Skye

my family

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Harvest
















We have two apple trees and they were full this year, I have no idea what kind they are ... taste a little like granny smiths but they do turn red.











We planted pumpkins again this year, but not the giant ones and I'm not as happy. We had the biggest pumpkin last year and this year we have 11 of the tiniest things... it is silly. We will get different seeds next spring. This first pic is of last years pumpkin. It weighed about 75 lbs my dad guessed (as he's the one who hauled it in for us). I finally cooked it up after the new year (yup, it was still good) and I got around 55 cups of cooked pumpkin to freeze (and I didn't scrape all the meat out either probably could have gotten 5 more cups. (Someone's blog had a bunch of pumpkin recipes on it... got to remember who and go back....)




8 comments:

Sherri said...

That's a lot of apples and pumpkin..yum yum.
I make a pumpkin pie every year where I mix the pumpkin with vanilla pie filling and put it on top of a mixture of cream cheese/cool whip. We all love it!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

That sounds yummy! We picked apples for like 2 hours today and filled two big boxes and a cooler and it doesn't even look like we did anything! It may frost tonight and that may ruin the rest :( I picked all the orange pumpkins and covered the rest ... we'll see ...

Heather said...

Growing pumpkins...that's fun. I'm sure your kids enjoy picking them when they're ready!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

They are hoping to get two each.... if the rest turn orange.

Wendi said...

Thanks for you thoughtful comment on my blog! You are welcome anytime. That is an awesome family picture! What a legacy you are creating. You kids are beautiful.

I scrolled down to look at the art. Wow! I could never do murals like that.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I wouldn't even know how to go about cooking pumpkin! Or choosing seeds...

I may try micro-gardening next spring, though. Maybe some tomatoes and herbs. Okay, maybe a LOT of tomatoes and a few herbs. I love tomatoes!

Unknown said...

Pumpkin is my favorite pie of all time. It's not something I ever had when living in England, so am delighted to have found it here. I'm going to have to check out that recipe someone made a comment about :-)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Thanks Wendi, Andrea and for stopping by and leaving comments. Thanks for checking out the walls. It really is a fun project (and with a projector, I'm sure you could do it!) This is our 2nd garden so we are still learning, too. Pumpkin cookies are yummy and so are pumpkin bars! Stop by anytime,