Welcome to the Badlands

All pictures belong to us {unless otherwise stated} and we would appreciate it if you didn't capture, borrow or take any of them. Thank you.

Search the web with Google!

Google

Quote of the month...

"Standing tall is a very admirable thing. There are very few stories in history of heroes who slouched to the rescue. Likewise, most individuals don't look up to people who are drooped over."
from Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra by Obert Skye

my family

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Foto Story Friday #55-- A ssssssslithering story

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

A few weeks back after one of my charges went home, I noticed a car parked by the side of my house. The people inside were throwing pens and pencils into my yard. This did not please me, so I snuck outside to spy on them with the camera. It is difficult to get a picture from around the corner of the house with out being noticed and they quickly sped off. I ran around the front and snapped a shot of the car as they left.
Coming back into the house Troy asked me if I could see anything in the yard that might have caught their attention. It looked like a rope had been dropped, so I went back out to take a look. I zoomed in on the "rope" only to find it was a snake! I don't know much about snakes, but I could tell it didn't have rattles and was not the right color for a rattler. I wasn't going to get any closer though!
Upon returning to the house I informed Troy that it was a snake in our yard. We've lived here for nearly 5 years and never had a snake in the yard. He was needing to leave for work, but took a quick look at the snake and decided to call the cops. (we have no animal control here). In the meantime, my other charge's mom and grandma arrived and I told them we had a snake. The grandma, being a farmer came over to check it out. She told us it was a bull snake and that it was dead. Probably it got hit by a car and sssssssslithered up into our yard to die. Since the cops were already called we left the snake alone. When they arrived to save me from a dead bull snake, the officer jumped out of his car fully armed. Robby was quite impressed that he came to remove a snake with a shotgun! They sent 2 officers (small town nothing to do!)
When they determined that the snake was, in fact dead, and a shovel would be more in order than an gun, they posed for a photo!
I had to get another shot with the gun in it! We all had a good laugh and a great story to tell.

(thanks for the comments last week -- sorry I didn't get around and read your stories, but I was enjoying time with my sister!)

23 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That is hilarious that they came with a shotgun...and I love that they took the time to shovel it into your trashcan. That's service.

Emily said...

Ok, that is too funny! I love how they came out with a gun! I think if I called the cops about that here they wouldn't come at all!

Chris said...

THAT is a great story!

The shotgun cracks me up.

You apparently need more crime.

Alex the Girl said...

Best photo story friday yet. Giggles escaped from my mouth after each frame. LOL at them showing up with shotguns ready for battle! That'll show that dead snake.

Pam Emmons said...

That's hilarious!

Leah said...

Whoa!!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh...I'm cracking up laughing at that. All-in-all, though, it should make you feel really safe. I mean, just imagine how many fully armed officers might arrive if something REALLY bad were happening. :-)

Great story. Great shots (even though none were really fired).

Lisa

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha! Thanks for the good laugh! Though I admit I wouldn't be getting too close to that snake to find out if it was dead or alive! Good thing you got that zoom on your camera!

Straight to Your Hart said...

Great detective work and amen to the men in uniform. Love the pictures...except seeing the snake..they truly creep me out!!

Maggie May said...

That was quite a drama! So did that car kill the snake, dump the snake or were they trying to kill it, do you think?

kayerj said...

great story, well at least you provided some excitement for the local police--they'll probably be talking about it for days. thanks for stopping by

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

lol, great PSF! The snake is kinda pretty in color, never seen one like that before.

Too funny that you called the cops and they brought such big guns. BUT how cool of them to play along with your camera. So nice!

Laura said...

I am absolutely terrified of snakes! I could hardly even look at the pictures. So you think they threw it out driving by? Or it came there on its own?

Holly said...

Armed with a shotgun for a nonvenomous snake! hee hee. We get snakes of all kinds in our yard. I saw two this week so far.

Cafe Mommy - said...

Too funny!!! LOL..nonvenomous. Thank goodness though. Now that the warmer weather is here, watch out where you and kiddies step. (Thank goodness they responded, around here we'd still be waiting)

Honey Mommy said...

What a funny story. I love that they posed for a picture with the dead snake!

Jenners said...

Love the excellent response! Your tax dollars are being put to good use! And at least it was dead ... a live snake would have required a video blog!

Jillien said...

There ain't no problem that can't be solved with a shotgun. i say kudos to that officer :)

JM

Post Script: Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for the sweet comment :)

Unknown said...

That is a small town! I used to live in a town of 1200 and called my cops for a snake in my garage - they said simply, "put out sticky mouse traps", basically, not our problem. :( Love the shotgun! your guys are great!

Aunt Claudia said...

Uncle Byron says, "The only good snake is a dead snake." (He who grew up in timber rattler country) Glad you were all safe! Keep your eyes open....

Momisodes said...

Yikes! I would have been freaked.

That is quite the impressive bin and gun for a snake :)

JenEverAfter said...

Oh mercy me! I would've had a heart attack if I saw that thing in my yard! Is a bull snake bad? Thank goodness grandma knew a thing or two about it!

Jaina said...

Ugh, I hate snakes! But you got a great story and some funny pictures out of it :)