Welcome to the Badlands

All pictures belong to us {unless otherwise stated} and we would appreciate it if you didn't capture, borrow or take any of them. Thank you.

Search the web with Google!

Google

Quote of the month...

"Standing tall is a very admirable thing. There are very few stories in history of heroes who slouched to the rescue. Likewise, most individuals don't look up to people who are drooped over."
from Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra by Obert Skye

my family

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Foto Story Friday #53 -- Stay Off The Sidewalks!

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

It's that time of year (round here) when you start to see the cars marked with yellow: STUDENT DRIVER signs! The summer Driver's Ed classes started May 18th. The first day in June the kids (70+) took to the roads.
June 5th we took a short drive to the driver's licensing office and Cody commenced to take the "written" test.
When he passed they took his picture and issued him a first phase license -- a learners permit.
As promised, I let him drive home. I was terrified! My heart beat faster and I was sure we would crash! I was positive that he would not stop at red lights or stop signs, I was certain that he could not make a smooth right or left hand turn, I was petrified he would not be aware of other drivers and we would wind up wrapped around a pole!
We made it home, and in one piece. He didn't hit the house when he pulled into the driveway either!
Wheewph!
We were home long enough for me to fall breathlessly into Troy's chest and relate how terrified I was! Then it was time for Troy to take the plunge and ride along to Cody's driver's ed class.
Troy makes sure to put on his seat belt!
And they are off....
He was SO excited that he forgot to bring his book to class, I had to run ....I mean drive... it over to him.
I called my mom, I had to tell her what a terrifying experience I had just had! All she said was "I did that 8 times". Hello! I needed sympathy!!!!! My baby boy, my first born, was behind the wheel of my suburban!
Whoever decided it was a good idea for teenagers to drive?! (OK, let's not even go to the 'you were a teen driver once...') I swear to you, when they issue your child a learners license, they should equip you, the parent, with a stack of those yellow: STUDENT DRIVER magnets for your car, seriously people should be warned!!!! There is a reason this vehicle is acting like a loose cannon!!!
I'd post a picture of my terrified face, but I was too busy holding on and trying not to scream to take a self portrait!
He's getting better, I think.... Troy rode on the freeway with him tonight (Wednesday) and lived to tell the tale! It's looking like we just might survive this experience ..... but June's not over yet!
P.S. Stay off the sidewalks! :)

36 comments:

Mom24 said...

I'm very jealous about the organized driver's ed. Here, it's no longer offered in schools. It's extremely expensive now and kids take it whenever they want. In most kids cases, that's as soon as they can. My daughter however has put it off for a year and a half, so now we're forcing her to take it. She's gotten to the point she needs to learn to drive--now.

I wish you luck and I wish your teen to be a good, patient and wise driver. I've been through it once before--it's nerve racking, but definitely worth it.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Oh man I do not look forward to this AGE at all!!! When we learned to drive it was in our 12 passenger Ford van and I think my mom figured if anything happened at least we'd live through it! :)

Jaina said...

Congrats Cody! I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Ryanne said...

I'm not scared! Bring it on, I will go for a ride with the CodeMan when we get there! No, really, I will! So excited to see you guys!

Deedles said...

Wow old enough to drive huh! :) Crazy! They learn quick! :) Have fun!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh congrats! What a HUGE milestone!

Cecily R said...

HAHA! First of all, you sound exactly like I anticipate sounding in five years or so...terrified and panicked and wistful and excited all at once.

Secondly, I am TERRIFIED for this to happen in our house. What if Isaac drives like I did back then? Like an idiot? Scary stuff!

Maggie May said...

Oh you are so brave! Not easy to sit in on a teenager's first lesson.
You must be patient too. Well done for being the perfect parent!

scrappysue said...

been there - done that!!! have fun lol

lsnellings said...

oh I am so not looking forward to that! I still have 11 more years though! If the little tykes car is any indication, both my girls are speed demons!

Emily said...

Whew! That does make my heart race. I'm not looking forward to that with my crew!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

lolololol!! Looks like you are going to have a fabulous summer. ha! Good luck and a great PSF!

tommie said...

Oh...I can only imagine the worry! The kids' preschool is very near a driver's ed school, I see those signs ALL the time.

Thanks for visiting my PSF.

Hoosier Homemade said...

Good Luck to your new driver! I have an 18 DS that doesn't really want to drive and a 15 DS that is counting down the minutes!
~Liz

Chris said...

We're four years away from this.

Holy crap that's very scary when I type it out like that!

I AM NOT PREPARED!

Shellie said...

Hee hee, stay off the sidewalks :) I know exactly how you feel!

Straight to Your Hart said...

Oh, still my beating heart...only 2 years left (anxious giggle) for me!!

Life is good...and keeping it rubber side down as well:)

kayerj said...

I love it when they learn to drive--they want to do all the errands, take advantage of it :) Here’s my photo story happy Friday!

latree said...

OOOPS!
*take cover behind a tree*

good luck man!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha I do not look forward to it. My sister mostly did the teaching for me and it was so low stress. My dad was really great, but my mom was a basketcase. haha ;) Probably with good reason. Yep, I'm thankful I have another 11+ years to go.

Amanda said...

LOL! I'm glad I'm years and years away from that experience. But I know the day will come...eventually.

Robyn said...

I think that Dad's are the best when it come to taking the new drivers out. I know I won't be the right one. I only remember my Dad taking me, I had to learn a stick shift, but he was great about it.

Holly said...

Student driving, eeps! Brings back memories of me learning to drive. Not that great! Hope it all goes well.

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

Oh my goodness!! I have a 14 1/2 year old and I feel the same way. SHE is already asking to let her practice and I have been too scared to do that, ME scared!!
I feel your pain.
congrats to your young man.

Valerie said...

lol You know I lived through it!! But I am glad that I only had one kid. Even now I hold on for dear life when she's driving. lol

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I'm so not looking forward to this age.

You are one brave momma to let him drive home right after getting his permit.

Happy driving..I mean passengering.

Casey's trio said...

HA HA! I do remember being a terrible driver when I first started and rolling through the stop signs!! Glad you survived the week:)

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Oh my dear goodness! Good luck!!! Eeek!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am only 5 and a half years away from that! My son is into cars now and talks all about the fast ones he loves...so NOT ready!

Glad you survived to tell the tale! ;)

KATE said...

Oh YIKES! I'm so not ready for that phase of life! I'm sure he will do great, and so will you!

Aunt Claudia said...

Our own Amanda will be getting her learner's permit in August !!! OMG! I want to put a big sign on her car that says: BACK OFF - MY BABY IS IN HERE!! Don't think she would appreciate it, tho...
Ask your mother-in-law about learning to drive on the ol' Chevy that the gearshift kept sticking on.
YAY! Cody! You Go !!!

Keeley said...

Woo Hoo! You have another driver in your family. =) Congratulations.

Watch out for that awful insurance hike.....

That's one thing we're looking forward to for when Emily goes to college on Weds - we can cancel her insurance (She won't have a car). Phew! =D

CC said...

Aaack! I've told my son he can drive when's 21. ;) My mom still grips the sides of the door whenever I am driving...

Laura said...

That is seriously scary! I don't look forward to that milestone at all.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I remember being TERRIFIED myself when I got to drive for the first time, too. I was able to start early since I lived waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the country. A 12 yr old and a stick shift.....YIKES!! My Mom couldn't do it, she made her boyfriend teach me :)

Unknown said...

This takes me back to the days of teaching my oldest to drive. My cute little black car I was sure was going to get a bright yellow bumble bee stripe as she whizzed paste some construction but she made it through. Only took out one mailbox in that time. lol