Welcome to the Badlands

All pictures belong to us {unless otherwise stated} and we would appreciate it if you didn't capture, borrow or take any of them. Thank you.

Search the web with Google!

Google

Quote of the month...

"Standing tall is a very admirable thing. There are very few stories in history of heroes who slouched to the rescue. Likewise, most individuals don't look up to people who are drooped over."
from Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra by Obert Skye

my family

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Vacuum Salesmen


So how many of you have had one of these Vac Salesmen come to your door? I think 6 or 7 months ago The Kirby guys were working the area. They find ways to get in the door, you know their tricks! You'll be entered to win something if they can just take a few minutes of your time and show ya their vac. So they came when we were getting ready for dinner I brushed them off. They came back and the kids let the salesmen in! I was frustrated! I couldn't convince the guy to leave! Finally Troy came home and he got the point that we were not buying. We had recently purchased a Oreck. We are happy with our Oreck. It's light weight unlike the Kirby.

Well, round here we have something called GATE {Glendive Agri-Trade Exposition}, it is mostly an agriculture show with booths and such. The booths all have sign-ups to win this or that. So we went to GATE a few weeks ago and signed up for all sorts of stuff -- I mean who doesn't want to win, right. The other night a guy calls and says that my husband was selected for a prize, we just had to listen to a short demonstration for their air cleaner. OK whatever, so I say the guy can come by. It's the Rainbow Vac salesman. He gives us his "short" 1 1/2 hour demonstration and we do our best to convince him that we are not willing to buy a $2,300 vacuum right then. He of course calls his boss and works out a "one time only deal" we still tell the guy it's just not something we can fit into our limited budget. We were impressed with the vac, but come on! Even $1,900 is not something I can just come up with ... but there are, of course, payment plans for $190 down and only $54 a month for the next 3 years! If it was a car, then OK, but a vac! We told the guy that it would be something to consider when we have our debt payed off and we have saved the money. People don't like it when you would prefer to save up and pay cash! makes them grumpy. During the presentation, he filters the dust and traps it so he can show us how wonderfully the Rainbow picks up the dirt and dust out of the carpet or couch. He sets these nasty things on the floor -ya know for visual reminders. At one point, he does the vac comparison {remember we have an Oreck}, where you go get your vac and he shows you why yours sucks, well it sorta backfired on him as he went to show us how much dust gets back out into the air just by turning it on. The guy opened the outer cover to expose the bag and then turned it on, grabbed his spotlight so we could see all the dust flying around. Guess what? We saw maybe 2 or 3 particles fly! So he runs the edge of his light up the bag, to no avail! He then asks if there is even dirt in the bag! Yup, half full! Still nothing. The salesman then turns off our vac and sets it aside. Finally the guy gets it that we are not going to buy, and he starts to pack it up. We get the impression that he's a bit miffed. His nice demeanor left and he left all of his trash you know, the dirt samples on the floor and his paper towels from cleaning off and drying out the vac on my floor! Scott came to get me and said, "that man, he left all the nasty stuff on the floor! Yeah, he did!" We got his business card and plan to make a little call to his boss and let them know just how we felt about his attitude. He also gave me a lovely headache with his air cleaner thing. You can scent the air, which is cool, but not if you put three different scents {first vanilla, then lemon and finally eucalyptus!} in it and leave it on for 1 1/2 hours! My head is still aching! We did get our free gift for listening a set of cheap-o steak knives.
That's my rant for the night!
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I hate salesmen! Definitely call the supervisor and follow it up with a letter. And on the letter, indicate that you're contacting the Better Business Bureau. Letters and calls can make a difference.

Wendi said...

We had the exact same experience! It was seriously so stressful, and they would NOT leave! We did call a supervisor afterwards to complain, and they acted shocked (yeah right) but I don't think they really cared.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I have a really hard time with door to door salesman! Seriously if I want it I'll call you or go to the store! I feel for you! What a long 1 1/2 hours!

Emy5 said...

There is always a catch with salesmen, and they are so persistent. Glad you like to save up for things. So do we.

Laura said...

This made me laugh! We have all been there. I never enter drawings now because once we entered one for a car and it signed us on for a long distance plan (read the fine print). I now know that drawings are a great way to get your info. I recently had a door to door sales me be so rude and threatening to me I had to call the police! Everyone needs to make a living so I am always nice but no means no.

Laura said...

Oh and I have an oreck too (have for years and years). I love it!

Tristi Pinkston said...

Do I ever hear you or what!!

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh boy. I've had a Kirby presentation. It lastest an eternity, and finally I just told the girl I didn't care anymore, to please pack up, there was no way I would buy one. The best part? I had just bought an Oreck, too. She offered to take it off my hands and put $92 towards a Kirby. Um. No! :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I'm SO glad that I'm not alone! Thanks for your comments! YOu make my day!

Steph said...

I hate those guys! I get them coming around just about every month...totally sick of it! They don't take a hint! We just got a Dyson...Love it! Sorry for your (literal) Kirby pain. :(

Keeley said...

Oh you poor thing! Those guys are SO irritating.

I had one Kirby salesman come by a couple of years ago to give me a "short" demonstration that also lasted FOREVER. And MAN is that vacuum cleaner heavy! Holy cow I couldn't lift it up the stairs.

When I said "um no way" when I heard it cost a kagillion dollars, he did the call-your-boss thing. The boss actually said to me "he only needs one more sale before he can go on the company holiday to (wherever it was). Can't you just buy it for him?

Um...hello????? Impoverish myself for years so this guy can go on a holiday?

He also got really really miffed when I said no way. What is it with these guys?

Then there's the ones that come to the door trying to sell stuff and are actually rude, insulting and offensive when you don't buy. Grrrrrr. Must stop thinking about it, it's getting me mad.

Anyway, so I definitely feel your pain. I hope you called them up and gave them a massive what-for.

And now I've just read everyone else's comments and they've all been there and done that. What is it with Kirby? Have they actually sold ANY vacuums at all?

Crissybug said...

My husband would have flipped. Salesmen are so slimy! They are all smiles until you are adament that you are not going to buy! I hope the guy gets in trouble!

Debra said...

HOW FRUSTRATING!! I try to be nice too... it is how they make their living, but at least be NICE to me!!

I am STILL contemplating which vaccuum to buy. I just bought a cheapo one to tied me over till I can make my mind up. It is either the Oreck or the Dyson.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

And the saga continues: Today Troy called and talked to his boss. He told him how the guy was all nice in the begining and than got crabby when we would not buy even after the "boss" trick. He also told that we were not impressed with him leaving all his trash on our floor and that were led to believe we would be getting a choice of "prizes" and he just stuck some cheap-o steak knives in my hand and left. The guy gave Troy a choice of another "prize", he said he would take the sokeless indoor grill. Then the salesman calls and leaves a message that his boss just called him and said we were dissatisfied with our "gift"! OH that got Troy HOT! He called the guy back and when he answered, he check to make sure he had the right guy then unloaded on him! he gave him NO chance to speak, just told him the real reason he had called the boss and that he was not impressed with him and several other tings along that line, then hung up! Maybe he gets it now!

Keeley said...

You go, Troy! =)

I'd love to see a post on here from a salesman to know what their thinking is...does their approach really work? How can it possibly work? Except on people who are naive or easily persuaded...but how can you look yourself in the mirror after unloading a vacuum to someone who possibly can't afford it at all? How do you sleep? Do these salesmen worry about their customers at all?

Shellie said...

This is just one more reason why we got rid of all the carpets!