Welcome to the Badlands

All pictures belong to us {unless otherwise stated} and we would appreciate it if you didn't capture, borrow or take any of them. Thank you.

Search the web with Google!

Google

Quote of the month...

"Standing tall is a very admirable thing. There are very few stories in history of heroes who slouched to the rescue. Likewise, most individuals don't look up to people who are drooped over."
from Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra by Obert Skye

my family

Thursday, April 1, 2010

FotoStory Friday #95-- A Letter!

The other night, about 2 weeks ago, they had the winter sports banquet. It was on a night that Troy worked and I didn't really think that he was going to get any awards or letter. He only wrestled on varsity twice placing 6th both times. He never missed a practice or a meet. When I was in high school (ages ago, just ask MY kids!) you had to place so many times and all sorts of other things in order to letter. So since it was $7 a plate and I really didn't want to pay for the whole family to attend in the slim chance that he would be given anything, I opted to not go. I talked it over with Cody and he also didn't figure he would be getting anything, so off he went to the banquet.
Boy, did I feel like a bad parent when he came home with a big ole envelope full of all sorts of things and to top it off he lettered! I was SO happy for him and his accomplishment, but really I should have been there who cares if the dinner was $7? Bad parent!
So here he is showing off his newly acquired high school letter!
All smiles and a bit of silly.... notice he put his letter upside-down? He was smiling and laughing bcause he was sure I would notice BEFORE I took the picture!
After flipping the letter over, it was not so much fun to hold it up for a photo, darn teenagers! :D
Posted by Picasa
The letter all by itself!
The best part of this story is really a rewind..... When he first started out the school year he really didn't understand how you got a letter. I caught him researching it online! :D Of course, now that he has rightfully earned a letter, he wants the jacket to go along it!
One more funny story on Cody..... For Christmas he got a car (which he will have to share with his sister when she gets a license) from his grandparents. We finally got everything switched over into our names: insurance, title and we had to get new plates. They offer so many choices for plates these days and I couldn't resist the urge to get something cooler than the new plain jane blue plates. I saw wrestling plates, I had to have them for him. We registered the car for life so it was worth it to pay the extra for the cool plates. SO while Cody was at school, we found the car and changed the plates. It was lunch time and there were a few high school kids watching and wondering what we were up to. After school, Troy and I were at the church setting up for the pinewood derby and in need of some stuff from home. I called Cody and called and called until he finally arrived home to answer. He was laughing. He said: "I walked past my car three times! I kept thinking 'I know I parked over here, but that's not my car cause those are not my plates!' Finally after the 3rd time past the car, I decided it was my car!" Oh if only I could have been there to watch him walk past and talk to himself, it would have been SO funny! See we live in a small town and I think there are only 2-3 other cars of his make and none are the same color!

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily


19 comments:

Emily said...

That is a funny story...I don't even think I would notice if someone switched my plates!
Congrats on the letter!

Cecily R said...

Congratulations to Cody for all of his great accomplishments! Kudos to him for doing research on something he didn't know about even if it WAS how to letter in a sport!! :)

Aunt Claudia said...

WOW!! Congrats to Cody! And thanks for sharing the funny plates story...Memories indeed!

Chris said...

Great story! Congratulations to Cody on the accomplishment.

And yeah...I have to say that I would feel pretty bad, if I opted not to go, and my son came home with a letter.

I'm not trying to rub it in... :)

Mom24 said...

That's a great story. Very funny.

Congrats on his letter. That's a very big deal.

It's great that he handled the banquet so maturely. You've done a good job.

Rose said...

Love the story of the car, that's something I would have done!

Of coarse there was the time in college when my friend and I were getting a ride home from another friend and we all hoped in his car. He sat there for a moment then said, "this isn't my car."

Small town, Looong time ago! LOL!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Cody! Way to go getting a letter! That is just awesome. Next year you will know! : )

Maude Lynn said...

Congratulations, Cody!

latree said...

congratulations!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Congratulations to your son for lettering...proud momma moment indeed.

Sorry you missed it at the banquet.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Gotta love teens, their mood changes in the blink of an eye doesn't it?

Unknown said...

Way to go! :0) Funny, when I was a teen I had to have the letter jacket but I didn't care at all about the letter. lol

Alex said...

I remember when I got my varsity letter! I couldn't believe it because on the first day of cross-country practice I got LOST and came in LAST place...
Congrats to Cody :)

Emmy said...

So awesome that he lettered! And the license plate switch is awesome. It would have been funny to see him keep walking past the car. Too bad you didn't have a hidden camera or something :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Cody! What a sweet story and the pics (especially the first one with the big smile and upside down D) are priceless. Fun to find your blog - I only have one child and it is interesting to live vicariously through others.

Jaina said...

Too funny about walking past so many times, did he like them? I wish we could register for life...how much easier that would make things!

Jaina said...

And a BIG congrats to Cody for lettering!

Honey Mommy said...

Cool that he lettered! I totally don't think I would pay $7 a plate if I had a big family either.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ That cracks me up about the license plate!! Funny! Congrats to him on lettering!!!